PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aspen KASE
Thread: Aspen KASE
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2009, 01:30
Meatwad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the good info. Im still not exactly clear on departing in extreme VFR. (mountains unobscured). It seems im getting mixed signals. Some posters are saying I need to have the climb requirements met anyway, and some are saying just fly the valley. I always thought that if you are IFR and assigned an obstacle DP you must be able to comply to climb with OEI. If not assigned and depart VFR, you can see and avoid.

I ask all this since I am relatively new to turbojets, upgraded from part 23 turboprops recently.

There are some cool things about jets, but it would sure be nice to leave ASE in a turboprop instead.

I have heard others tell me about the Triangle, or mountains. One story told to me was involved a Hawker taxiing out and the mountains started to get obscured by clouds. The pilot decided to go back to the FBO knowing IFR obstacle departure was not going to work OEI. As he entered the FBO a gentleman asked him why he didn't go. He explained. The gentleman said, "Good call." He was an FAA inspector.

Thanks