PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jockey to sue wife of Pilot
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2002, 13:32
newswatcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now now Big Tudor, a touch of mischief creeps into your reply.

It is now 2 years since the accident. Ray Cochrane was incapacitated for some time, and has now retired as a jockey, although how much of this was caused by the effects of the accident, I am not sure. Incidentally, I believe he now acts in the capacity of a racing agent for Frankie Dettori.

A jockey's income is largely derived from the number of races he rides, enhanced by the occasional "win bonus", unless he is lucky enough to earn a retainer from one of the leading owners.

Continuing my previous argument, if RC is still awaiting an insurance payout, he may need to take some action, either because he is "Broke", or because there may be some sort of "statute of limitations" on his ability to take legal action as a result of the accident.

The AAIB report to which the Nr Fairy refers, appeared in February 2001. I assumed that this was an interim report, although I am sure that someone will advise whether there will be a further report on this accident.

Certainly an AAIB report will aid any decision of the courts in awarding compensation but, as has been pointed out, is not by itself capable of doing this.

Whilst writing this, I see that Aspinwing sums it up nicely, but perhaps I should also suggest that such action is more likely to be to determine whether there was any "liability" insurance policy held by Mr Mackey at the time, rather than a direct assault on his estate for damages!

Also remember that a court case does not necessarily deliver the "expected" result. When the parents of a boy killed when a helicopter on a "joy ride" crashed, the judge found that, although the pilot flew with misted-up windows, the Crown had not proved that this was an action that no other competent pilot would contemplate, and therefore threw out the case!

Last edited by newswatcher; 27th Jun 2002 at 15:43.