PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New DII(F) IT System
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2009, 17:30
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vecvechookattack
The B&W ones are cheap and in plentiful supply... A colour printer would be very nice but I'm not sure the RN's budget would stretch to that
VV, you don't really have a choice. Your unit, maybe the HQ, will get at least one colour to be shared. Then as Sir TH says, cheap and cheerful is not in the lexicon.

I had a lot of floppy disks that we used for sneaker net. I made the point and they were hapy to proivde a USB floppy just for me

However we lost 3 Dii/c and only got 2 Dii/f in replacement. We also got a hideous, fridge sized, SDP, hung high on a wall in the wrong place. The bill to move it to the right place was a cool £18k.

There is also the farce of getting a new account opened. As the AD I have to ask the LSO to confirm that the new person is properly cleared. The catch is that this is an off-line process and I simply say 'yes he is'. I am also supposed to ask the budget manager for financial approval.

Good game.

They also produce a 'business continuity plan' that is supposed to cover everything including loss of a building or even a site. That we have been practising and improvising contingency plans for the last 40 years or so in Tacevals seems to have escaped them. Now they expect me to help write the manual, study it each year, reapprove etc etc - then it sits on a shelf gathering dust.

We had a training course that taught us the bleedin obvious (part of tha package) but no training in how to actually administer the system.