PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Position error" of outflow valve B737-300/-500 (4th altimeter)
Old 28th Dec 2009, 14:40
Badente

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cough
Flying with packs on and outflow valve open at FL80 indicates about 83 at 250 kt, but just over 90 at 330kt.
Some numbers from the field – this is exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you! I'll compare them next time in the sim. Would you mind sharing the series of the B737 you flew?

john_tullamarine: Do I understand you correctly that the focus of the training you mentioned is mainly on pitch & power flying? Having the VSI helps a lot in this case: ~500fpm and you can almost be sure you hit the right GP beam (assumed 3° glide and no other unusual conditions). How do you assure terrain clearance when you are not established on the ILS?

Originally Posted by A37575
The emphasis in simulator recurrent and type rating training is strictly box ticking.
I'm a low hour (~1.500h) F/O so I count myself lucky to have this opportunity during my refreshers. However the pressure to adapt our B737 syllabus (which allows for such things) to the syllabus of the "more computerized" aircrafts (which doesn't) is there. They see it as standardisation across the fleets which isn't necessarily bad. But in my opinion they put the emphasis on the wrong things. Besides the standard sim ops (engine failures, etc) I see the sim as a great opportunity to try escape strategies from abnormal situations outside the book without killing myself in the case they weren't as great as I tought. What do you think?

As a longtime reader of these forums I'm always amazed about the knowledge you people have. Thank you for contributing.