PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 28th Dec 2009, 13:32
Ancient Observer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Solution?

I cannot see a way through this. In the 20-30 recent pages, no-one has come up with a way of bringing these BA and Bassa folk together.

I think it will be down to power, and the breaking of either the Co., or the TU.

No solution possible?
Hiflyer, and others who would like a solution.

Some posts ago, Henky came up with "Getting to Yes", a book from the Harvard Negotiating Project, which shows folk how to negotiate. It is very good, with some great tips.

However, to "negotiate" requires two groups who want to reach a solution.

As their own behaviour shows that Bassa do not want a solution, the "getting to yes" technique does not work. That's when you need to get out the original works by Karrass. (Google his org). All of us with 30+ years of negotiating experience have our copy of the "Karrass tapes" hidden away somewhere.

Karras and others do actually understand what Power is. If your opponent does not want to negotiate to reach a solution, I'm afraid that you have to set out to destroy them. The early Karrass courses taught this. Other negotiators with experience of cold war Russia/USA negotiations also understood this.

You should expect BA to give Bassa perhaps one more chance of a negotiated settlement. Failing that, it will have to be a fight to the end, by all available means. Either BA will win by destroying Bassa, or Bassa will "win" by destroyng BA..............and thus making themselves unemployable.

No other solution is possible.

Unfortunately, Unite, which knows all this stuff, does not seem to have the power over Bassa to make them understand. Plus, Unite's own internal politics make being "strict" with Bassa just about impossible. (Years ago, Jack Jones of the T & G gave too much power to local units compared to the centre).

Only the lawyers will get rich!