PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where have all the instructor jobs gone?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2002, 12:23
FormationFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-SPOT
IMO yes. If they want you to help them hours build with CPL/IR in mind then yes. You must be more rigerous than PPL - somewhere I have a set of guidance notes for PPL/CPL test criteria...To obtain the maximum from hours building they should be aiming at learning to fly towards CPL accuracy. However, it is also important for them at this stage to have as many experiences as possible. For instance - if they didnt do spin training on their PPL (optional airex) I would advise them to go do an hour or two of spinning, perhaps some aeros, a taildragger course - all these help with basic control skills, confidence and situational awareness. Hope this helps!

BEagle
Crumbs! Dont half sound close to home for me that....numbers of new FI(A)(r) and all....I could well be im one of them...but even if Im not this sort of attitude from our supervising FIs is very gratifying.

Although on the way to the airlines myself instructing is not a means to an end...indeed if you are my CFI then rest assured im gonna be around for many many years to come - even when Im with the airlines...hence my continued commitment to instructing through becoming an applied instrument instructor.

On the subject of the airline route...for me an FI ratign wasn't in the plan as the route to an airline...and I personally dont think it should be - I think those who are motivated to do instructing as a form of hours building should really do something else...I have always talked about instructing and only recently managed to have the time/money & experience to make it happen. If others out there consider instructing 'easy hours' then either your view as a prospective instructor is way skewed, or if you are currently an instructor then you aren't doing it right. (IMO)

Instructing is hard work. Every flight you give a piece of yourself away, sometimes it goes badly - and you not only feel for the student but you question yourself - and next time you have to aim to resolve things...this can only be done through commitment - and if you heart isnt in it, you cannot give the required commitment; and if you cannot give the commitment then you are not giving your student the quality of teaching that they deserve.

As for prospective FI employment? I still think the jobs are there - in fact I *know* they are having been recently approached...but these jobs will go to people they know or word of mouth recommendations in the current climate. So getting your face about really is a must.

Last edited by FormationFlyer; 27th Jun 2002 at 12:36.