PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Threat to the Shuttleworth Collection
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2009, 22:45
Mechta

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Model Aircraft Insurance

For the record, it is, or certainly was, possible to be covered with third party insurance for model aircraft without being a BMFA member.

The Model Aviators Association offered cover, as do/did many insurers as part of house insurance policies. I even phoned one insurance company, when insured with them, to clarify what limitaions there might be on weight/size etc. as the policy documentsdescribed the cover given but didn't specify limits. Their response was 'anything which you don't fly in yourself'', which gave a fair bit of latitude, like "where can I get a Global Hawk?'

I should add, this is not to knock the BMFA insurance, and for the record, 'A' & 'B' certificates only apply to radio controlled models. They're totally irrelevant for the free-flight models that doppleganger flies.

However, the chap who was stopping people flying on that day was NOT a Shuttleworth official, and could not show any ID whatsoever, which is why I say it was disturbing.
Why let some jumped up t*ss*r with no authority put you off flying at Old Warden?

Anyone who has flown free-flight models will know that tree landings and landing damage are par for the course, I presume Oxenos did not twig that it was free-flight models that doppelganger and his son were flying.

BTW Did anyone else fly an Ebenezer on Christmas Day? It's bit of a tradition down here!