PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA Crash Jamaica
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2009, 19:11
WhatsaLizad?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couple of other observations as an airline pilot for 15+ years into KIN, including flying the 737NG there.

-There are limited vision cues outside the runway. The bay is on the threshold and left side, city lights far in the distance. Limited street lights far to right also. Other end is ocean of course. It makes for the "aircraft carrier" effect at night, especially in rainy conditions that further isolate the runway.

-In rain, like many commercial jets, I've found the 737NG visibility can basically suck even with the wipers on high. The 1950's window design is already limited as it is. Rain repellant isn't installed anymore. The airlines are too cheap to RainX the windscreens each night also.

-KIN. It may just be me, but it seems the white runway markings seem bright enough during the day, they seem to blend into the runway color at night with little reflectivity from the aircraft lights, even worse when wet.

-KIN. There are limited physical cues other than the runway markings as to how far down the runway one may be. At places like Grand Cayman, I use the FBO as a point on the left side where I brief I expect to be on the ground or a GA will probably happen. KIN is basically the same appearance for most of the runway until the firehouse, where it's waay too late by that point. Runway distance remaining markers are tough to see at night, rain or in a flare, and can't recall how easy they can be seen at KIN. With the rain, and maybe windshear, and possible MEL's such as reversers or ground spoilers, the crew could have found themselves with degraded cues to the problem until it was too late to GA. Fatigue issues could also be a factor.

We also still don't know if there were any other mechanical problems with the aircraft. I also think the general public would be surprised as to the acceptable tire wear on the typical commercial jet. This too would affect stopping ability compared to the deep tread on a new set of main tires (is it spelled tyres here?)

More than enough factors for the NTSB. Doubtful all the facts will be correctly analyzed here, including mine.