PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2009, 07:46
wilky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this really it WWW? This really grips my s*%t. I have been working my nuts off for the 10 years and finally when I have enough cash to fund training, this happens! OK a there was a recession, a credit crunch whatever. They have happened before and they will happen again, but that aside what is happening to the industry is not short of criminal.

I'm not one that is interested in jumping into a RHS of a jet. Not interested in the status or the salary(or lack off) as a matter of fact I actually want to start on a turbo prop, Ariel work, whatever, I want to have some different flying experience before getting into a jet.

I am lucky enough to have been in a highly paid job (although I do despise it) last few years and have a nice little a nest egg, do I really want to blow it all on training AND a type rating? Training I don’t mind - that’s what I’ve been saving for, but to now be expected to blow another £30000 on a type rating for contract work, just seems, well lunacy!!

I'm having a mental battle with myself - do I continue with training? I'm currently doing my PPL and will complete that for sure, but do I take it further.

I would be more than happy to bond to turbo prop airline if I had a type rating paid for and be on the payroll, but how long until the turbo prop operators start similar schemes. How many wannabes will be desperate enough to stoop to new lows to get in the RHS. I'm a wannabe myself, I have also had that "dream since I was a kid" to fly, but at this rate it's going to remain a dream, I don’t want a dream to turn into a nightmare, with £30000+ I’m saving on a type rating and the other £45000+ on training I might just buy myself a 172 and enjoy some touring to Europe.

It may be the end of a dream to fly commercially, but thank christ I listened to WWW posts a year ago or so and held off, I feel you may have just saved me a fortune and a hell of a lot of stress.

Such a shame wannabes will not get a grip and just not pay for these schemes, if we all hold off eventually we could stop such schemes and allow the guys who have experience and were flying in the good times, to return to the terms and conditions they were used to 4 years ago, instead of sitting at home whilst some dreamer spunks another £30000 to fly a jet and take their well deserved RHS.

I don’t post much on these matters, but frustration has caused me to this time, can't imagine how those of you who qualified, working and were laid off are keeping it together watching this happen to your industry.

I wish you all the best and hope that you get something sorted soon. I genuinely feel for you.

Rant over.