PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 7
Thread: Ryanair - 7
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2009, 20:28
PIK3141

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Herc708
I think you'll find that the airline part of the industry is very concerned about fuel saving and carbon emissions. This was the central theme of presentation after presentation at a recent flight operations conference in Amsterdam, where the roles of the 50 odd ATC organisations across Europe in these respects were not viewed favourably.

Ryanairs arriving in PIK on 31 and departing on 13 when traffic permits is entirely sensible and sufficient of a norm for air traffic controllers to expect it. It saves fuel, and gets pax in 10 minutes quicker.

I also wonder why 747's off the Atlantic have to route to Turnberry then turn 90 degrees left, fly north, the 90 degrees right to join the 13 ILS, instead of routing straight in as they did years ago.

You can also see flights out of Dublin ? routing north and doing a 90 degree turn over Turnberry to head east.

As I said, a common theme at that conference was why ATC could not do more in fuel and emissions saving by direct routing and in Europe, coordinating more with each other. It was seen as the outstanding area for improvement.

I applaud Ryanair for straight in approaches on 31 where it is possible, and am bemused by other airlines that don't ask, so don't get, and add 10 minutes flight time and fuel burn as they go the long way round.