PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 26th Dec 2009, 18:18
midman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MissM,
Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply,
Originally Posted by MissM

I don't feel that I need to be completely loytal towards BASSA. As I have pointed out I don't always agree with what they say or what they do but I won't deny that I work to our agreements because they are in place.
You work to your agreements because they are in place? What about working beyond them because that's what the customer needs to happen on a given day, and is of benefit to the company as well for commercial and operational reasons.

Can I suggest that you wouldn't go beyond the union limit because:
1. You are afraid of what the union would say to you, and

2. You believe that the company would in future roster you to such limits every working day.

If they are re-negotiated I will of course work accordingly. Maybe that could come across as some sort of loyalty, I don't know.
Why do they have to be renegotiated before you will work to higher limits? Bassa represent you, they do what you say, not the other way round. If you think you'd be be willing to work beyond existing limits (as with the hot towels), then why not do so, and tell your reps what you're prepared to accept, and tell them to negotiate on that basis. Or doesn't Bassa work like that?

At the same time I have a responsibility towards BA. I report for duty when rostered and do my work as I have taught by them.
But only to the extent you and your colleagues feel acceptable? Is that how you described your commitment to the company at your job interview? Not really convincing is it?

How about "I recognise the unique commercial pressures the industry is facing, and in particular those faced by an airline targetting the premium market. I appreciate the need for flexibility in my working arrangements which will allow the company to compete in a rapidly changing industry. Agreements between employer and employee can form a basis for developing overall working practices, but adherence to them should be tempered according to the situation on the day."

I have also pointed out that I don't mind to have our agreement re-negotiated as long as it is acceptable
Isn't that a truism?

If you are talking about disruption and operational agreements. Again, I don't always agree to what they say but I work along with them because they are there. Yet, feel free to re-negotiate them. I don't want to have 2 local nights after a disruption.
Yet again a comment that reflects the balance between the commitment you give to the company and your union. I have read no comment by you that suggests any commercial awareness in your attitude to your work. You wish to do what you can for the customer, but as for the company's needs, or even those of IFCE....?

It's almost as if business needs are dirty words in cabin crew circles, something those nasty fat cats get involved with, not us.

As an aside - Do you feel part of IFCE? Are you proud of being a part of IFCE? Or do you feel that IFCE are 'the management', a separate entity towards which you have little or no affiliation, commitment or loyalty?