PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2009, 14:26
PickyPerkins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dtyedytgerdy Where there are multiple aircraft then each can broadcast its data to its neighbours. Since it is unlikely that the neighbouring aircraft would also crash, they do not need to keep the received data in hardened memory; they can store it on a regular PC and upload it to the Internet on arrival.
Sallyann1234 100Mbs from one aircraft would be easy.
The above started me daydreaming of a simple system.

Could one have a "buddy system", where each aircraft is paired with a buddy? i.e. two aircraft on the same or nearby routes maybe 10 to 30 minutes away from each other are "paired". Each aircraft has its own DFDR as normal, but each also transmits its full DFDR data stream to its buddy, which records it.

On landing and confirming that its buddy is safely on the ground, the received data is deleted. Gone.

Advantages include:

(a) No other infrastructure is required. No satellites or central data handling is needed. No massive amounts of data is stored. The cost is distributed between all airlines and countries

(b) The full data stream of the downed aircraft is available immediately. Also, it might be possible to transmit just the last known position to emergency services even before the receiving aircraft lands.

(c) While I hesitate to mention this, it does cross my mind that the buddy aircraft will most times be from a different airline and maybe a different country, minimizing the possibility of any funny business in withholding, delaying, massaging, or losing the data.

There will some routes where there will be no buddy within range, but maybe only 1% of routes.

Just daydreaming.