PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe sponsorship 2010
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2009, 12:22
FL370 Officeboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed. Merry Christmas to all.

I'm certainly not supporting this scheme through bias and have plenty of experience of the outside world myself to know how things work (having worked in management for several years before flying). However, I stand by my opinion that as things go this scheme is as good as it is probably going to get for a wannabe. Recruitment is going to be pretty dire across the industry for a sizeable amount of time. There is a large pool of experienced pilots out there looking for work. I would not want to be a newbie out there now. Look at what options they have...

Easy? Have you seen their latest 'opportunity'?? Pay £34,000 for 'training' and get dumped out after 150 hours so some other sap can pay for the privilege of flying passengers around for them. There really is NO JOB at then end of that - I'd say that was a bad deal.

Ryanair? Hmm pay a fortune for a type rating and all that comes with it and then work as a contractor. Flying dries up as soon as they start having to pay you. Not a great deal.

BA, bmi, Thomson, Thomas Cook, Monarch etc etc? NOTHING doing here for a while I think you'll agree.

Yes it's £25K (in reality more like £30K per annum with flight pay etc) and it's not going to buy you a Mercedes any time soon but it's a PAID job with a decent company where you're not paying more at every turn for type ratings, own accommodation, medicals and so on.

There is NOTHING else out there at the moment for those that aspire to get into the RHS of an airliner. The only other option is to just advise people to forget about flying and go do something else.

In reality, people will make their own decisions and hopefully in a few years I'll be flying with people who have applied to this scheme and they will think they made the right one for them.

This is a quick fix in pilot training, it gives a select few a chance and that is about it, it is not that long ago that Flybe and Oxford were going to do a MPL, what happened to that?
The MPL was not with Oxford it was with FTE Jerez and started on 26th June:

FTE Jerez: News Detail

Yes, I know it is a chance for the select few. I must clarify the general outlook for wannabes is dire.