PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Goodbye Dubai
Thread: Goodbye Dubai
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2009, 07:43
bherald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are We in the 21st Century?

I went to the Persian Gulf State of UAE knowing that I would find lots of sand (which I could live with!)..lots of opportunities..to make money, new friends and new experiences. I had some idea as to the incompetence when it came to implementing the law. Likewise when it came to human rights issues. What I had no idea about was the locals' ability to twist and break the law..their passion for treating people like slaves!! This was pretty close to living in a state of lawlessness..I thought they were the masters of economy and wealth management, and hence the attraction of all foreign companies and expats with their experiences and knowledge in the various fields of technology..what happened in the real estate business has been very obvious and showed that it has really been an economic bubble. But I think the worst is yet to come. Other areas are also suffering. I have witnessed frightening scenes and heard frightening stories about their attempts for recovery where the financial issues were put before safety when it came to priorities in the private aviation business, and the owners interests before human rights. It all turned out to be a nightmare with events surely not taking place in the 21st century!