PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA Crash Jamaica
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2009, 18:42
in my last airline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excess speed might have caused this accident. I am speculating of course, but, in my opinion 70% of pilots flying the 737 do not land at ref period. That is based on 15,000 hours on type and more than a decade of training and checking on type. This a/c is NOT a great stopper and when landed flat and fast simply eats up the Rwy. Throw in a couple of non standard techniques or a bit of hydroplaning and it's curtains. Pilots of the NG are very reluctant to close the thrust levers until it's virtually on the ground. With these new wings and also winglets you can close the thrust at 30ft followed by a flare at 20 without it 'falling' out of the sky. So many also gun the engines coming into the flare, normally, totally unnecessarily! the old gen 737s did fall out of the sky if you closed the thrust at 30ft and I wonder if there needs to be a reevaluation of landing technique across the board with the latest aerofoils providing much more lift (and less drag).

Some have mentioned cancelling reverse and flying away again. Depending on weight etc I reckon if you canx reverse at 110 kts and applied firewall thrust, it would take about 1500m minimum to get back to say 130 kts and hopefully fly away again. This is based on a simulated attempt just to satisfy my curiosity.

Safe flying.