PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MK 74F down in PHC?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2001, 14:20
MrNosy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're all a bit quick to jump on MK aren't we. All that's known at the minute is that they have lost a 747 after it apparently undershot on approach to PHC at night - we know nothing else at the moment.

And, so what if they have now lost three aircraft in nine years. This by itself may or may not be significant. Numbers alone are not necessarily an indication of poor safety.
What were the causes of the accidents, was their any failing by the airline and if so has it learnt from these and so on.

MK's previous two accidents were also undershoots in darkness and were both during non-precision approaches, one at Kano (VOR approach) and one at PHC (also a VOR approach plus no DME). I wonder what kind of approach yesterdays was. Am I right in thinking that the the glide slope at Kano is shallow (2deg??) or am I right off the wall. What's the glide slope at PHC.

For AirDisaster.com's sake I might mention that non precission approaches have been shown to be many times less safe than full ILS approaches and having a shallow glide path can also give problems. Maybe AirDisaster.com should also consider the differences in infrastructure, landing aids etc between Africa and North America/Europe before he prenounces on safety. His view may be valid but basing it just on counting numbers is not enough.