PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHANNON
Thread: SHANNON
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2009, 06:31
GELOFAB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyrano: if we agree , and I think we do from your comments, that in this particular time and moment Ryanair is one of the problems and not the solution, then SAA has to tackle that particular problem. And if, as you say, the fear is that in the moment you open a new route , Ryanair comes along to sabotage the route, then and only then, we should agree that SAA job should be preventing that kind of sabotage in a way that allows commercial managers of other airlines (Iwhak dixit) not to be afraid to come to Shannon. What kind of deal should they be offering to FR competitors? I honestly don't know that answer. I am only proposing something that appears to be logic. If Ryanair is part of the problem, you have to try to get Ryanair out of the equation in order to be sure FR is not going to block the entrance of other players. That is, in my opinion, the very basic that should be done by SAA. Having said that I am not saying that SAA marketing manager is an easy job. I am aware of the limitations to market Shannon out there. But FR guerrilla warfare tactics should be dealt with.
Now, as Iwhak has mentioned, the other side of the story is the pax loadings out of Shannon and the irish pax, which constitutes the bulk of the flyers, not flying in this particular moment. I agree with that but crisis do not last forever and I do not agree with Iwhak in one point. The market, even with is limited catchment area, is there. If Shannon has shown capacity to cater for 3 million plus per year that means there is a market there.

Merry Xmas to yo all.