PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Change of career
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2009, 04:52
Aceninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stumbled upon this forum and have to say I am truly moved by what Quagmiregiggidy said. I hope your luck changes for the better soon, mate, just hang in there!

As to all the newbies, I am one myself who (only having a PPL at this moment) still wants to fly. At the moment I have a stable job that pays decent enough to be able to afford flight training on and off and although I wish the world economy will come back up in 2 - 3 years I know that it never ever might come back up to the good ol' days of Aviation (pre 9/11).

I also realize I might never even make it to an airliner/cargo or fly a big bird. In fact I might end up flying bush planes in Africa If I am so lucky. Forget the salary and the perks, I think every newbie who wants to change careers has to ask himself if it is worth spending the time and money on training only to fly a single engine puddle jumper (IF you are so lucky), let alone a Jet for a long many years to come...

I am not trying to be a wet blanket here, but trying to find a job in your backyard is not an option anymore. Leaving behind a family to fly in a foreign country with completely strange food/culture might not be easy as well. Just some food for thought.

Having said all this I firmly believe that you only have one life and at the end of it all, it doesn't matter how much money you have amassed, but rather how you have spent that journey and if you have had 'fun' along the way. Of course money wouldn't hurt either...

Just my 2 cents..

I wish you all a Merry X'mas and a Happy New Years. I hope the next year will be a much better one for us all.

Cheers,

-Ace