PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to make a difference
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2009, 19:56
supermoix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's in the details

You don't need to do any superhuman action for your boss in private corporate operations to appreciate and respect you, let me see if i can organize bits of thought regarding this matter:

1. You don't need to brown nose the boss, he already have lots of people around him that does it, and he really don't respect any of them, he just uses them.

2. Details, details, details... What he likes, the wife, the kids, his friends, make mental or written notes of their likes and dislikes from timing to catering, newspapers, cabin organization, drinks, music, movies and have everything ready for that specific flight. He will be pleased.

3. Learn how to say NO to him, everybody have a weak spot, if he perceive you as a "yes man" he will lose respect to you.

4. Be ready for a long chat on a long flight when he's the only one on board, he will look for you as a conversational instrument and you have to be ready to talk about anything, make yourself look smart and discrete in this non-business conversations.

5. Learn how to explain aeronautical technical matters to him in plain words so he can understand them, if not, he cannot communicate with you since he's probably not interested on sfc numbers, winds and temps charts, limiting mach and stuff like that.

6. Always make sure that every penny from the petty cash and credit card expenses is documented and justified. He can pass you a bad landing but he will not tolerate lost money, nor the accountant. Ah! always keep digital scanned copies of all the receipts, invoices, loose expenses and reports at least for a year... Audit time can be a nightmare for you if you're not prepared.

7. Manage to communicate directly with him for flight details and schedules, if people described in point 1. of this post are in charge of that job, anything that goes wrong you will blamed by them and worst, maybe without an opportunity to explain.

8. TRUST, he needs to trust you on a personal level, and you will be tested every other month. Never say to anyone within the company on any level about when, where, or with you will be flying or flown, discretion plays a big chunk in this business... you learn to keep eyes away, ears closed an mouth sewn shut around your operation...

9. you really need to enjoy flying for him, he will note if you're not happy, believe me, the boss will note it.

10. AH! Most important, never ever takeoff without ice in the galley!

If i remember any other thoughts i will let you know. hope it helps.