PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA Crash Jamaica
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2009, 17:36
Flight Safety

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life and Death Decisions

I hope this isn't thread drift, as I think this discussion may be relevant to this accident and others.

Here's a link from a retired NYFD fire chief, on the subject of training for life and death decisions.

Life and Death Decision-Making

Pilots are also confronted with life and death decisions, however pilots are generally required to decide and act within seconds, unlike most first responder life and death decisions. However I wonder if much airline pilot training focuses on this aspect of emergency procedures training. It's the emotional impact of being confronted with a sudden life and death decision, that must be responded to correctly within seconds, that may need special attention in training. My general understanding is that when someone is immediately confronted with a life and death situation that requires an immediate response, the reaction is usually one of fear and strong emotion rather than reason, the fight or flight reaction. I think training could help overcome the expected strong viceral reactions, if the training treated the problem for what it really is, a life and death decision. The simulator seems like a good place to do this.

Last edited by Flight Safety; 24th Dec 2009 at 18:01.