PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Censorship
Thread: Censorship
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2002, 00:06
Captain 2per

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Censorship

Usually I just lurk because I don't have a whole lot to say in such lofty ccompany. Lately though I have noticed several instances of censorship by the moderators of this forum.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at least in the U.S. if someone publicly complains about perceived faults on the part of a manufacturer, nobody would touch him because of his Constitutional right to free speech - except in the most outrageous cases. I believe they would have to prove him wrong and I somehow suspect that might be most difficult and in the process turn over a few stones they may prefer to leave untouched.

If I were the moderator here (no thanks), I would want to rely on the fact that opinions of contributors to a public forum are not endorsed by the forum's host, as a first "defense". I don't think that a pilot's forum especially should be pro-actively protecting manufacturers from contrarian opinions. If Robinson, Bell et al haven't complained so far, I believe they never will. It would seem to me that they have to make at least one formal complaint/request that we reign an "offender" in before they have any legal case anyway. So I would leave the first move to the manufacturers. If and when they do complain, that would be the time to consider muzzling the indicated offender - until then let everybody speek freely and unfettered.

As a professional pilot, I welcome the whistle blowers of the world precisely because they ask provocative questions. Sometimes they even turn out to be oh so very right - consider ENRON. They may be eccentric, but they are not alone. For me it is literally a matter of life and death to have potential problems brought to light in this way. For this reason I would much prefer if the moderators were to refrain from any censorship until they are actually forced to it by an offendee with a legitimate complaint. In the mean time any debate can only serve the pilot community.

over to you ...