PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - john frohnsdorff elected BALPA General Secretary
Old 26th Jun 2002, 23:11
airrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can confirm that aside from my blood & genes which comes from Liverpool, I have never resided in the North. I do appreciate a Northern outlook on life perhaps and my Grandfather and Uncles spent many years in the Dockers unions(not as GS). So please recall the letter bombs enroute to that poor northern bloke, you got the wrong man. My name would mean nothing to most people here so you can eliminate any of the major players.

Please don't lecture me for daring to mention the B777 bunks in parenthesis as a small aside to Martin A saying that the CC's make all the decisions(as proof that this has varying degrees of truth). I won't go into the details here because it is a BA issue only and those who do know the details admit freely that the CC's did not get what they wanted because CD felt it necessary to make a compromise to move the issue forward. That resulted in all but 2 of the LH CC resigning (again don't want to be drawn into lengthy discussion about how many withdrew resignation, etc.) It was a tiny but truthful fragment to a lengthy post and for those interested the final stage bunks agreed have still not even begun production(18months to complete, whilst the 777 has been in BA now 6years)vindicating the opinions of the LH CC.

invinoveritas, agree wholeheartedly that we should be acting as the sole suppliers of pilots in the UK and co-ordinating our actions and focus on the group as a whole. If not then what the heck did we spend so much time increasing our membership. Of course one cannot use the word of that famous boardgame MonoPoly in this manner but heck they get away with OPEC (Only Pilots in the EC ? why not). Apologies if I often call on BA issues as examples to highlight my opinions but that is the firm I work for(presently)and could not to begin to discuss other outfits. Does not mean I don't support pilots rights regardless of uniform.

Both of you comment as if JF is taking the position of GS and are ignoring his manifesto. As for being qualified to find an appropriate candidate/s I am of the opinion that he appoint a professional head-hunting organisation;
1. alleviate suspicions from non-BA BALPA members.
2. they have 1000's of the best candidates in this country on their books ready to roll tomorrow and the headhunters are the most experienced of any people to appoint suitable people. Does any here think someone in our org better qualified than that.
3. a lot of the cost for this service absorbed by the candidate.

I appreciate that many people have mortgages etc and militancy wanes quickly. That is why I started 2threads(1 on the BA Pprune section 2months ago and 1 on the New BALPA Forum - because its more relevant to BA right now) that deals with the issue "Preparing for a strike". On the BALPA Forum thread I discussed ways and costs of raising equity from ones home to finance any missed paychecks during a strike. Without repeating the details here; the first option was a mortgage holiday agreed with ones manager, followed by a Home Improvement Loan which came to an additiional £60/month for every £10,000 borrowed. Theres no point in complaining that everyone doesn't want to risk strike when most people haven't been told how to financially prepare for one so that their families don't miss a bean. Perhaps the BALPA financial services could draw up a more detailed lengthy "Financial Crisis Plan"or "How to survive 6months without a paycheck"(don't have to call it strike preparation if fear of litigation)and print it in that LOG, that I do read. You might even find your readership #'s increase Martin. Think Pro-Active. How will BA feel if they know ahead of any strike that all pilots have secured 6months worth of strike money. Might tighten their sphincters a little wouldn't you agree ? Please feel free to use this idea Martin, can I look forward to the Aug/Sept issue......all I ask is that you sideline airrage as a co-contributor for the article. Quiz: what lasts longer.........a BA pilot on strike with a £15,000 Home Improvement Loan or BA with a £6 billion loan and pilots on strike.

I have discussed the merits of AESOP share options in lieu of cash if BA claim they can't survive the increase in cashflow a pay rise would cause. I devised a tidy way of turning £300 take home pay today into £1000 tax free shares 2years down the road. That could be another article for the LOG. Sorry getting sidetraked.

Martin, I have never criticised the NEC, I think you must be addressing this to me when you mis-identified me as that man Adrian building a wall(joke pleae). I have stated the many reasons why I believed a GS Election was necessary, the way it was handled and do not feel it necessary to repeat them here again. I have never spoke a disparaging word against any of the reps, CC or NEC. In fact I only have praise for their efforts.

I would just like to say that I have noticed the defensive reaction shown by reps(NEC or otherwise) to the recent upsurge in activisim. I think we as members are perhaps just as guilty in not communicating upwards to reps as we accuse them for not communicating with us. I know being a rep must be a thankless job and you don't get many stray e-mails just to say, hey wanted to say thanks and keep up the great work. How many trips downroute do you get not discussing BALPA issues? Doesn't mean the majority of us don't realise or appreciate the work done. It's a bit like accepting a flying managers job except you get the same amount of crap yet none of the perks.

Oh well, heres to the new OPEC ! (Only Pilots in the EC)