PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John Travolta Joins QF
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2002, 23:06
Fris B. Fairing

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts
Waterops and E.P.

Ah! The Warren reference was a compliment then? Sorry I didn't recognise it (foreign concept!). We're not talking about see more are we?

Unfortunately I'm not a pilot, famous or otherwise, and it's difficult to keep the finger on the pulse after retiring from the industry but I will always recognise a beautiful aeroplane and a brilliant marketing campaign when I see one. It's unfortunate that some QF aspirants seem to think that JT is jumping the queue, but if this campaign is as successful as it deserves to be, there will be more pass.... sorry customers, more aeroplanes and ergo more pilots (and rest assured JT won't be one of them). It's also unfortunate that some are querying the relevance of an American citizen promoting an Australian airline. Therein lies the brilliance of the campaign. There's nothing special about an Australian (even a celebrity) promoting an Australian airline but if you can persuade an international celebrity to promote an Australian airline, that's marketing genius. If said international celebrity also happens to own and operate a piece of Australian aviation history, all the better. (Let's not forget that the short fuselage 707-138B was unique to Qantas). Although the basic idea was apparently JT's, Qantas must get full credit for having the courage to run with it.

Cheers