PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 14:21
one day soon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geolog

While frustrating for you the problem was not actually BMIs fault, the baggage agents who handle/transport/load the bags at LHR only had 40% of the usual staff numbers make it into work yesterday so were under pressure from early on. BMI had the choice of delaying flights due to restrictions on slots (min 3hrs delay due the weather) and loading bags or sending people on their way on time and then sending the bags later at company cost. Not many companies would have been willing to choose the best but most expensive option these days so maybe a thanks to BMI would be more in order?

Businesstraveller

You are quite correct, both the bags and 'holy water' were from the Hajj pilgrimage flights to Medina. Unfortunately the overload of bags and water averaged 3tons per aircraft so it was obviously unsafe so again the decision was made to get people home with their bags to follow at company cost later. P.S. Having operated a Hajj flight can I say that the passengers were some of the most understanding and grateful I have ever come across.

nivsy

Sorry cant help you with that one but a call or follow up email may.... I do say MAY help remedy the situation and prevent it happening again.

Finally whilst these problems are annoying please remember that most of us at BMI have received letters informing us of redundancy in the New Year and yet we are still turning up each day in this weather and at this time of year trying our damned hardest to make sure everyone gets away ok!

Happy Christmas to all