PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA Crash Jamaica
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 14:15
protectthehornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think that one should rule out tailwinds as part of the equation. I am surprised that anyone would comment about jet vs. light plane mentality... If the plane landed in accordance with known conditions and approved methods/wind speed that is ok...but if the pilots received faulty information as to the exact speed and direction of the wind, this could be an area of concern.

I would hope someone would post the gradient of the runway in question as well (slope).

I would hope P51 guy can look up the max tail wind component that American uses and verify the runway used.

The plane did break in half according to new pictures. Aft of the wing.

Lucky there was NO fire.

I wonder where the initial touchdown was along the runway? One report says the landing was very hard followed by a ''bounce'', according to passengers.

There are many factors in any landing to consider. Speed, correct selection of speed vs weight. Flap setting (hope someone can see it in the pictures), use of spoilers, thrust reverser use, auto brakes or manual brakes.

If the landing was ''firm'' that might be considered a good thing...but one must ask who was flying and their experience on the plane.

Please recall the midway/southwest over run...18 seconds elapsed between touchdown and deployment of thrust reversers. There was a kiss of a tailwaind there too.