PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From ATCO to ATMO
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 12:24
jaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I've always considered ATM to mean air traffic services, airspace management and air traffic flow management. As an ATCO I thus consider my duties to include in addition to just air traffic control service also
flight information service, alerting service and air traffic advisory service. So I guess ATM officer might even be a more suitable title than just ATCO.

Of course what I'm paid big bucks () for providing is actual air traffic control service, keeping aircraft from hitting each other and so on, and the people who only provide let's say flight information get paid quite a lot less. Why ATCOs get more money may in some cases only be a result of effective labour union policy, but ATC is what flyboys usually want to receive, not just FIS so I guess it's only fair.

I don't really mind if a flight information service officer's decision is equal to mine, after all it only applies in his field of service. I mean, as long as people are competent, (and ATCOs get the money they deserve ) what is the real problem even if you are all included under the same title?