PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 6
Thread: LUTON - 6
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 08:51
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the snow problem - can we get some reality here, Luton Airport is over 500 ft agl so it is bound to get its fair share of snow. The problem is that the United Kingdom over the last 20-30 years has got itself into a sense of false security regarding winter weather. The country is in Northern Europe it is winter and surprise, surprise it gets cold, sometimes snows, has ice and fog. If people of my age remember this was a regular occurrence way back in the 1950-60s you expected it to be cold and snowy during the December-March period. You just got on with it - and do not get me on that global warming rubbish!
That old chestnut!

The way you go on, you make it sound like the airport is on top of Mount Everest! LOL...

If it is inevitable that LTN will be effected by snow more than the other London Airport, than they should be the most prepared of any of the airports! Im sure your average passenger does not look at how high above sea level the airport is, before booking and if it will cause problems to their travel.

I really struggle to understand why LTN was closed for 16+hrs on Monday evening. The snow fell for 3-4 hours, there was no wind for snow to blow onto the runway, once it stopped. Other London airports clear their runway in 2-3 hours and they are upto twice the length of LTN's runway.

Once the snow stops the runway and taxiways should take no more than a few hours to clear. Manchester, Gatwick and Stansted all managed this. But hey LTN is the "3rd world airport" for London, so what can we expect! My confidence in my local airport has hit rock bottom, and doing everything I can to avoid it in future!

Im not the only one, my company here in Milton Keynes has now changed their policy after this weeks incidents, and telling all staff to book air travel through Birmingham. After getting staff stranded in February, last week and this week in the snow. The reduction in frequencies to Ireland and Scotland has also been a major contributing factor, making day trips even more difficult.

The way passengers have been treated, and the experience they have had is nothing short of a shambles after hearing the reports on 3CR and BBC News.

If LTN wants to consider themselves to be one big boy airports in the UK, they can't do it with regional airport mentaility, infastructure and capabilities. It annoys me on here, how people almost resign themselves to saying, "well what can you expect, its LTN!" or consider the passenger experience and the impact this has on the airports public perception.

Passengers travelling don't know LTN is on top of a hill, most of them will also expect a reliable bus service to the car parks and railway station, not one that stops when the weather gets bad! Leaving them stranded with a 1.5mile walk up a steep hill.

--------------------------------------------

Anyway enough of my ranting...

easyJet have ruled out Xmas Day travel and as they consider it unviable... They have however chartered an additonal aircraft for today and will be doing three additional rotations. Not sure of the aircraft/airline doing the charters and routes being flown.