PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LIVERPOOL - 2
Thread: LIVERPOOL - 2
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 08:45
harbour cotter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al,

I can't believe how ungrateful you are. Unlike many thousands of other passengers, you managed to arrive at your chosen destination. The airport remained open when many others were closed. You had some delays, but less so than many other airports such as MAN etc, which had major difficulties because of the adverse weather. You stated that the transport manager was driving one of the buses. I would have been impressed. All hands to the pumps and this particular person was prepared to get his hands dirty to help out. That shows a can do attitude from the staff involved. You should be thanking them, or would you have preferred to have diverted hundreds of miles away. How late would that have made you?

Most airports, indeed transportation within Britain has been severely disrupted because of the adverse weather. This country struggles to cope in such circumstances because these events are comparatively rare. It is not realistic or cost effective to cover for every eventuality in such circumstances. However, some airports, like BHX and LPL have remained open to try get pax, including moaning unappreciative ones, to their chosen destinations and back again. Even the other airports, I am sure, have tried their hardest, some have just managed a bit better than others, and of course the weather affected airports to varying degrees. As I said, you were one of the lucky ones, its just a pity you can't appreciate all of the efforts made by many staff involved.

Its impossible to prepare for every eventuality, unless of course money is no object. Each winter you could provide 500 staff and 50 vehicles, and in the summer staff could be employed to spray cold water on the tarmac and hold up parasols for the pax. That should ensure that most of the eventualities should be overcome. Oh by the way, airport tax will be £1000 per pax please.