PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 07:55
henkybaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have thought long and hard if and/or how I should comment here on the conversations I had with crew, pilots, ground staff and passengers alike in the last 27 hours. It was good that we were all in this bad weather boat, since that gives ample opportunity for chatting.

I decided not to go into detail too much. All I can say is that I am disappointed. There is so much hatred and distrust within the company that I honestly fear it can never truly heal again. I don’t think it matters whether WW leaves or not. It does not matter if BASSA is broken. There is a word for what is spreading in this company but we have been asked not to use it.

Every single crew member had a different story about why they think a strike was called or why BA management got an injunction. I have heard incredible nonsense, conspiracy theories, you name it. About 70% of the crew is still in favor of a strike and the majority wanted to make it life or death. WW out of bankrupt…. Mind you, most of the crew were very professional, worked their bums off and showed no sign of frustration to their passengers.

As so rightly stated by someone before the negotiation style I proclaim requires two parties willing to reach a solution. Even if ever so slightly. I am not sure that is the case here anymore.

I have no advice anymore either. It seems that indeed a majority of the cc is in favor of a fight although no one has a real sense of the issue(s). I do believe that some staff will lose money and I believe it is because they can simply work less.

It was confirmed that the interest of the crew is universal:
  • Appreciation
  • Involvement
  • Being treated as a valuable asset to BA

Not sure that will help much since they follow BASSA blindly. Even those who thought the 12 days strike was a mistake. About 50% thought so. A PR mistake only though.

We did manage to come up with a joke.

What is left when you remove BA from BASSA?

(Hint: remove the last A)

I give up. It will probably be a fight and there is just no way BASSA can win that. Being right (assuming you think they are) is completely beside the point.