PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is a flight instructor?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 07:16
Mach E Avelli

Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts
Yeh, the dreaded Instructor rating....A couple of years ago I got involved in the relatively new Recreational Aviation system (probably Sport Pilot in Canada?). Wanted to convert the ATPL so did the 5 hours in a stripped-out 85 h.p. L4J Cub (on which I already had more than 5 hours, but as that time was really on a 150 h.p. Super Cub it was not within the Recreational Aircraft weight limit). Despite another 300 hours in hang gliders, I had no argument with the 5 hour concept, as low inertia aeroplanes can bite old transport pilots. Anyways, got the RAA certificate. Bought my own little 80 h.p. taildragger Sonex. Have since racked up over 100 hours on it in my spare time, flying around a fair chunk of Australia. So, now, I would like to do a bit of RA instruction, strictly as a spare time thing and to help out some of the guys at my local field with BFRs etc. BUT, I am told that I have to do the whole 30 hour flying course plus all the theory, plus, plus. The system does not allow ANY concessions for prior instructional experience. Yet, another RA pilot can do the same thing in the same time after only 75 hours of flying in RA aircraft and with NO other aviation experience - period.
What makes it even more of a pain in the butt is that many of the schools that will gleefully take your money to teach the rating can't examine for the issue of it. So once you do the training it's up to you to call in one of the few approved examiners who may or may not be 'standardized' to that school's way, and who just as likely will have their own pet theories. Also some of these examiners can be a bit territorial, so one does not need to be doing the test too close to where one may be about to practise the art, for obvious reasons. So, one needs to think about doing it elswhere, with attendant accommodation or commuting costs. Bottom line....I won't be doing an RA Instructor rating, after all. Given that it would only generate about 50 bucks an hour income (or the equivalent in beer) and I'd be lucky to do 250 hours a year as a freelancer, I am just arrogant enough to figure it is the system's loss, not mine.
Will stick to my properly-paid 'instructional' work that does not require an Instructor rating.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 23rd Dec 2009 at 10:53.