PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airspace Policy Statement 2010
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 23:54
mjbow2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leadsled

This is indeed good news. It was troubling at the time of the draft Airspace Policy Statement, the removal of any reference to NAS. I wonder if that omission was attributable to the rank and file at CASA and AsA?

I have it on good authority that John McCormick’s words of support for NAS are genuine. He surely must now surround himself with people who will support its implementation. Does Peter Cromarty actually support NAS? I have my doubts.

In the May 2009 Senate Estimates hearing the following was said.

Senator HEFFERNAN—You are a full supporter of the full implementation of the NAS class E over D airspace in Australia?

Mr Cromarty—I am a full supporter of a risk-based approach and if that is the appropriate cost-benefit solution then I am a full supporter.
In the same hearing the Common Risk Management framework was said to be a 'work in progress' and included the ALARP concept. I concede that I am not a mathematician nor a risk expert but my understanding is that ALARP has significant limitations.

Was this particular risk based approach used at Broome and Karratha? Was this same risk based approach used at Avalon? Does anyone know what risk assessment model is actually being used nowadays?

Do you Leadslead or other readers know why ALARP has been included in the CRM framework? Does anyone know why we do not use the proven FAA Cost Benefit Analysis for the establishment and disestablishment of towered airports? Dr Bob Hall believes it is a cheap and proven method that is scientifically reliable.

Could it be that Peter Cromarty does not want to use the scientifically proven FAA Cost Benefit Analysis as this would make it hard to reject the E over D, C and B design on scientific grounds?

GaryGnu
There is a very good reason that the government is pursuing the FAA airspace model. It works extraordinarily well with 15 times the volume of air traffic than we currently have. Why should we wait until our uniquely Australian system has catastrophic failures as traffic loads increase?

As an airline pilot in both Australia and previously in the U.S. for a number of years, I look forward to the full implementation of NAS. GaryGnu I’m sure you would want the same if you had spent a few years flying in the U.S.