PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Line training: the debate
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 22:37
Artie Fufkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I signed up for flight training, I was advised (correctly) that I should understand that I would need to be able to do whatever it takes to land my first job, be that working at the wrong end of the country, sacrifice relationships, maybe even pay for a type rating (if a firm job offer was attached) etc.

But paying for line training, especially now, is not "whatever it takes".

Firstly, the airline you pay will typically give you enough hours to pass a line check. In the same way that you only start to learn to drive after you pass your driving test, you only start to learn properly how to fly jets / airline style flying once you are line checked and let loose to terrorise the airline's line captains. This is of course the point where pay-to-fly pilots are cut loose. You'll be rough as a badgers arse and airline recruiters know it.

Secondly, there are no jobs currently available. Throwing money at the problem will not work. You'll pay for your line flying up to check ride and then join the dole queue of all the other out of work pilots, all of whom are much more employable than you. It is an absolutely insane idea.