PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what airlines want?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2002, 18:45
AlphaCharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Listen, is it just me or is the wannabes section flooded with people going on and on and on and on about degrees, total hours, life experience etc. I'm sure the average wannabe knows that in an ideal world you would have great GCSEs, great A-levels, a degree, good flight school, lots of hours etc. But real-life has shown that you don't need a degree to get a flying job (BA doesn't require its cadets to have a degree, let alone 20-30 years ago when no one went to uni), Easyjet or Ryanair were at one stage recruiting people with fATPLs.

In the current situation, with everyone so frustrated, all most people want to hear is when airlines will start to recruit again, when will BA restart its cadet scheme, and is BMI going to place an ad in Flight this september?

I remember about a year ago when I applied to the BA TEP scheme, the wannabes section was flooded with info about BA and how to apply and what happens if you get on the scheme etc etc. Where have all these people gone? Why aren't we hearing from the BA recruits currently on the TEP scheme, who should be concerned about their future. Why are they no tales about how people became pilots, or how they financed their training.

I'm a fairly level-headed bloke. I'm at uni (1 more year to go thank god!), I'm working at LHR again this summer, I have good A-levels and GCSEs, I know that the chance of being sponsored is 1:10,000, I realise that I will need to raise the funds some other way. I don't need some jumped up failed wannabe telling me this. Give us wannabes some credit.

Bring back happy, interesting, encouraging wannabes (and somebody kill Osama Bin Laden!)

Sorry about the rambling, ranting post - bad day, and just the way I feel. We are all down hearted about things in the aviation world, can't we try and keep the wannabes section upbeat, and leave the bad news to the runours and news section.