PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 7
Thread: MANCHESTER - 7
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 18:56
TheMaskedDispatcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manchester - 7

I think that some of the focus needs to be aimed at the airlines themselves. Knowing that the infrastructure of the airport during winter is already 'less than skeleton crew' as most handling agents have laid off staff for the 'quiet' period, they still try to operate a full schedule of flights. Instead of 1 aircraft to deal with we may have 3 or 4, with the same number of people to deal with it. Couple that with the general sense of not knowing if or when other airports that you have no control over will open . .or have better weather and the reluctance of airlines to actually cancel flights and you have a recipe for a very challenging operation. 17+ hour shifts for people are not uncommon . .NO there are no extra staff . .NO there are no 'spare' staff .. .NO we cant just 'call some more people in' (nobody will pay call out and some places dont pay overtime either . .anyone want to do some voluntary/charity work in aviation? no didnt think so). Its a damn shame for the punters but its the same all over the UK and it could be worse . . could be a Train operating company. Those in the know might have noted that during icing conditions rear-steps are now verboten according to airfield ops? That was a new one on me the other night but suits me fine!! H+S has SOME uses it seems . . . and yes the shops were bustling!
*deck the walls with Advertising . .falalalala, lalalalar
'tis the time for MERCHANDISING, falalalala, lala la lar!*

T-M-Snowman