PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 15:42
Jean-Lill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miss M

I have read your interesting post that makes me think what is really causing all this unrest is New Fleet and nothing at all to do with working with less crew or even an imposition.

I was a LHR CSD for many years and a bassa member at one time so know a thing or two about how cabin crew work on both WW and EF having worked on both fleets.

You are correct to fear New Fleet but it could have been avoided if your union had played ball with your employer a few months back and reached an agreement instead of thinking everything would go away if they dragged it out long enough. No use blaming anyone else now.

BA tried it with Mid Fleet in the 1990's in an attempt to get away from the then ancient BOAC and BEA working practices but for some reason abandoned the fleet.

That situation is still here. BA must be the only airline in the world that operates extensive short haul and long haul services with the cabin crew operating only one or the other but not both apart from at LGW.

New Fleet would be very economical for BA so I cannot see it going away.