PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - idiots with shotguns
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 15:29
R44-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bombdoctor: A hatton round is not a solid slug, Hatton is designed for breaching.
Here ya go taken from another source:
A less damaging ballistic breach needs to destroy either the latch and lock, or the hinges of the door, and the ideal choice for this is the shotgun. While in theory other firearms can be used, handguns are usually underpowered[4] and rifles are less effective than the shotgun and pose a far higher risk of ricochet and collateral injury.[3] Most shotgun ammunition can be used for breaching, though the risk of injury varies with type. Of the available shotgun ammunition, shotgun slugs pose the highest risk, as they will retain significant energy to cause lethal wounds well after they have penetrated the door. Buckshot is far safer, and birdshot even safer, as the multiple small projectiles disperse quickly after penetration, reducing the chances of causing a lethal wound.

Check out the new Mossberg and Remington breach barrels. There cool.

Nigel: I'd be very very impressed if you could drop a Partridge at 80 yards with any number bird shot! I've never seen anyone make a shot like that. And don't know anyone stupid enough to try either, should anyone manage to get a pellet drop on the thing you'd only hurt it, which is awfull.
If, as you so nicely put it, I stand at 100yards while you shoot a shotgun with birdshot at me with a fully closed choke no I wouldn't be that sore, you'd be aiming at such an angle it would come down from around 60-80 degress anyway. Much past 100 yards and it's like throwing sand at someone.
If we're out infront of a gun we stay at 120 yards which is pretty safe.
A federal 546 grain number 4 birdshot has 167 shots in it, meaning each pellet is only 3.2 grain, that gives up it's momentum VERY quickly!
It's not designed for penetration at any range other wise we wouldn't have the now dead bird for tea, it would be in bits....
A number 4 birdshot, shot from 3 yards is not accepted as being able to stop a human....

Your welcome to come down here and have ago on mine and i'll show you some ranges with different cartridges. Mines got a slugster smooth bore 24" fully open choke barrel and it won't take a pigeon vertically past 35yard MAX, and 45 yards from the shoulder to ground targets. 28" barrel choked and you can add another good 5 yards and a tighter spread. 100 yards, not a hope in hell. Pellets are on the deck.

Going back to the thread, the threat pilots face at least in the UK regarding game shooters IMO is minimal really, there on SGC shotguns and only firing birdshot. Only section 1 shotguns are allowed solid slug ammunition and hunters will be taking deer horizontally with these or targets, not firing upward.
You've probably got more chance of a ricochet from a .22lr bullet on your parked aircraft if anyones stupid enough to shoot near it!