PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 14:33
Jaffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on CC

Having read over three hundred posts some of which have appalled me, some given me hope, and some a wry smile, I feel it may not be a total waste of time to add my thoughts in what is my first and probably last post, as I have no intention of joining a shouting match.

First my background. I joined BOAC as a pilot in the late sixties, and worked for over thirty years until compulsory retirement at the age of fifty five. I was not ready to stop flying at that time, and was able to extend my career for a few years with a far eastern airline.

I therefore have seen quite a bit of BA’s operation, and also a little of what goes on elsewhere.

It seems to me that there is one main problem, and one running sore that cannot but be detrimental to the crew’s performance, and consequent quality of service they provide. First, and most importantly, the obvious antipathy shown by the cabin crew towards their employer, and secondly the surly, sometimes venomous attitude shown by a number of cabin crew towards the flight crew.

Not long before I joined, Captains stayed in separate hotels to the rest of the flight crew. Ridiculous you may say, and probably so, but it was undeniably a time when the commander was respected by one and all.

On my early trips a few years later, the Capt was still that slightly remote figure. I think it must have been at least ten years before I felt I could address him by his first name, and only then when off the aircraft! During those years, I honestly don’t remember any festering undercurrents between the crew. We all worked hard, and enjoyed our time off down route. Apart from a minor punch up in the Dickens Bar between a rather inebriated flight engineer and a steward, I don’t recall any serious confrontations!

But since that time, there has been a steady erosion of the Captain’s position in particular, but also of the flight crew in general. This has been partly due to changes in society, but also to deliberate actions by the employer to level the playing field. Now the Capt is merely the one at the top of the list, and the second on the list may as well be at the bottom. As for respect, I’m sure most will say that the Captain has to earn it, and I agree, but he should not have to start from a position where he is regarded as a “smug b-----d” (if one believes these posts) even before he has met the crew.

I have tried to find a rationale for this awful breakdown between the flight crew and cabin crew, and wonder if trying to be too matey with everyone doesn’t backfire in the long run. Certainly, in my more recent company, the flight crew and cabin crew were more at arms length. Interaction was correct, polite, friendly, and business like, and the operation was first class. After my time with BA, I missed the extra informality, and once or twice regretted the “arms length” thing! But it worked.

In my time in BA, especially on the 747, the operation was sometimes terrific. Usually thanks to a great CSD (of which there are many, and from reading his posts I’m certain I can include Tiramisu) being able to motivate his team by his/her example, his enthusiasm, and his general demeanour. Great fun. But sometimes it was pretty awful. Cabin crew simply going through the motions before the next slip. Sometimes the CSD would not even appear on the flight deck. Sure, we had some obstinate, rude individuals on the flight deck, they probably still exist, but let’s be realistic, they are few and far between. So why the frequent hostility?

I’m certain that the fresh faced stewards and stewardesses coming out of Cranebank hold no particular animosity towards the pilots, but once they start flying it seems as though a number become brainwashed into regarding them as the enemy. Having said that, perhaps it does start at Cranebank, by the occasional remark from an embittered trainer. I don’t know. But I do know that I sometimes used to think why me, what have I done!

If I may say so, cabin crew are also imbued, whether deliberately in the training school, or gradually over time, with a misguided sense of their importance. This sounds harsh I know, and I find myself hesitating to put it on paper. Frankly it sounds rather rude. It’s really not meant to be. I think it may have started with Kegworth and the realisation that cabin crew can sometimes have a huge impact on a successful outcome. Of course they can, no question. But now they sometimes think they can interfere in the decision making.

I will give just one example. Many years ago I had a flight out of LHR. During the pre-boarding checks, a stewardess discovered a note scrawled on a toilet mirror saying “you’re all going to die” Security was called, we trooped off, and the flight was delayed whilst a security team did a long and thorough search. Eventually when they announced the all clear, I expected a departure within the hour, and instructed the redcap accordingly. I had reckoned without the cabin crew. They were not happy. Despite my explanations that the search had been more than adequate and that I was completely satisfied, they wanted a change of aircraft. I think we’ve all seen when crew get into small groups and work themselves into a state of anxiety. Well it was like that. It was only the threat of disciplinary action if they refused to operate that got us away after a further lengthy delay, and you can imagine the atmosphere. The smug b-----d’s got his way again?

And why the hostility towards BA? They are the employers who decide how they want to run things, and we the people who carry it out for a fair remuneration. Of course, there must be protection from exploitation, unfair treatment etc, and this is why we have unions. But should unions be able to manipulate their members to the extent that they issue the most ludicrously disproportionate instruction to strike for twelve days over Christmas. Particularly at a time when BA is in a parlous financial situation. This is more than giving the employer a bloody nose. It’s pushing him towards liquidation. How would that benefit their members? I don’t pretend to understand the machinations of left wing activists, but surely even they wouldn’t want that. Or would they? Perhaps a strike or a failed company is like a campaign medal to them.

And over what? Basically minor changes involving some extra work. Maybe these changes will work, and maybe not, but it’s not up to the employee to decide. That’s management’s job. Maybe, faced with compulsory redundancies, pay cuts etc, a strike vote could be justified. But of course, this is not the case. It’s simply an imposition to work a bit harder, with no reduction in salary for current crew. To be honest in the current situation, I’m surprised BA are not looking for more. Perhaps that’s what people are afraid of, but it makes no sense to vote for a strike now, just in case they decide to introduce some unknown conditions in the future.

And are BA really such bad employers? I don’t believe they are. Of course we had spats from time to time, but in my thirty three odd years I found them to be an extremely caring and by and large, fair employer. There were countless occasions when I saw them pull out all the stops in times of personal difficulty, and I was indeed proud and thankful that this was the way they behaved. Not all airlines are like this I assure you.

So in this second ballot, would it be too much to hope that the militants who seem to have their own spiteful agenda, could be outvoted by those who vote for what they themselves want, despite the propaganda emanating from their union.

For the sake of British Airways, for all staff, both in this country and overseas, and for the travelling public, I really hope so.

As others have said, British Airways flights can be the best in the business. The crews are often fabulous, and their pride in doing a first class job for their customers is evident. Passengers get off with a feeling of wellbeing. Everyone’s happy. Then they take the return flight and it’s like they were on a different airline. Why not have anonymous standards inspectors travelling in the cabin to try to improve consistency. I’ll volunteer!

Happy Christmas.

Jaffy.