PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF St Athan
Thread: RAF St Athan
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 08:26
Toddington Ted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Defence Technical College (to give it is current name) has been a twinkle in various eyes for years. I remember being briefed about it back in 2001 and being told that we were all moving to Cosford by 2005 (which would have probably suited me as its closer to the Severn Valley Railway!). Clearly things have changed a little since then, with the selection of the Metrix Consortium as the preferred bidder back in 2007 which meant that the answer to the exam question then became St Athan. However, it's not just a matter of moving Cosford to Saints; other units, including Aborfield, parts of HMS Sultan and our own Eng Off Trg at Cranwell will also move but not, I was told, before 2015. This has been dragging on for what seems like an interminable period of time and, whilst it seemed a good idea at the turn of the century, seems less so now especially given the whopping price tag. The contract itself isn't signed yet and, as a soon to be civvy, I'm even more interested in when or if I will be working for the MOD or a contractor. Still listening out but it's all gone quiet apart from the issuing of some shiny plans and impressions of what this dreamworld will look like and where DCAE, DCCIS and DCEME will all live together. The firm decision is unlikely before the next general election but there is much pressure for it to go ahead.