PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Regulatory Reform Program will drift along forever
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 05:10
grip-pipe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gobbledock - Correct a discussion on the Westminster doctrine would go on forever.

The great tragedy of the last 21 years has been a lack of coherent industry policy at the national level on the industry in all its manifestations and as a result a complete failure to understand that regulatory reform meant less not more and let those who participate in the industry manage the risks, economic and operational appropriately, as they have done quite admirably without any real input from CASA or its forebears for decades. I am firmly of the view that half the current regs are but disguised economic regs left over from another time in which are entwined various strands of archaic labour controls and guild licensing processes. The current aviation regulatory regime is ideally suited for the maritime industry circa 1890 not the aviation industry.

Every so often the pollies appoint yet another director or CEO of something and promise to do what they promised to do before liked they promised to do before. I have become so cynical about the whole process like most of my compatriots I simply do not believe them any more. They have demonstrated a remarkable capacity to not listen to the voters or to enact change. Just look at the Tax Act, umpteen inquiries and still no sensible change but it is still promised.

Any way I could go on and on too but at the risk of boring everybody I wont.