PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what airlines want?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2002, 15:54
lonerider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not one or the other you know. You can still go to university AND have a flying career too.

I fully agree that pilots working for either the military or airlines should be university educated. Why not? They are doing a professional job and demanding professional salaries and see themselves on a par with doctors. People who have been to university show that they value education and above all are willing to learn. I believe that it makes you a much more aware and rounded individual after going to university, essential as pilots are the airlines front men. After all who wants to talk to someone whose only conversation topic is flying and football, 24-7!!

I don’t doubt that people have made it ‘big’ without degrees such as Bill Gates et al, and good on them, but the vast majority of people out their earning good (100k above) salaries are educated people, like it or not.

In fact if you look at graduates earning capacity over their working life they more or less triple that of the non-graduate.

Sure life experience counts but when you are only 18 and embark on a 4 year degree course that only makes you 22!! Not exactly over the hill, giving you plenty of time to work in the city even before starting aviation. Where is the problem?

Above all if your young and capable choose a good university and good degree subject. You having nothing to lose. Just make sure that you don’t end up in 10k worth of debt and you’ll be fine. Education after all in never lost.