PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More easyJet Pilot Slavery Deals - Oxford Aviation Academy
Old 21st Dec 2009, 22:47
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is important to have a sense of what is true and what is not. Loathe as I am to admit it, right now anyone who has any choice whatsoever should not darken the door of easyJet but go straight to Ryanair. Tragically, for new joiners, Ryanair are significantly better. That does not mean they are good employers - it does mean easyJet are signficantly worse for anyone outside the protection of the union (which right now are all crews joining from CTC/Oxford etc).

All of the above is true. What is not true are the ridiculous assertions that

Code:
easyjet is finished. Go to Ryanair, at least they have better bases, better incomes, better aircraft, better network, and better roster
I have always tried to give a balanced view on these forums - part of that is telling the truth about where we are at the moment. Right now easyJet is about as bad an employer for new pilots as you could find on the planet. However, not all Ryanair pilots have better incomes than easyJet's - many do not. Also at easyJet we fly brand new Airbuses which the overwhelming majority of ex-737 pilots much prefer. We have a fantastic safety culture, great access to computer performance calculations etc and better operational support. I work at Gatwick and would challenge you to find any airline in the world that has a better route network than we do in terms of variety and breadth. I have worked there 6 years and have still not flown to all our destinations. I have also looked at Ryanair's roster, which I do not knock in any way as it has a number of plus points. Nonetheless, given a straight choice, I would choose ours. That, folks, is a balanced view on the situation and I hope the more rational readers here will be able to tell truth from fiction.