PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHANNON
Thread: SHANNON
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2009, 19:39
iwhak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The FR deal at SNN was always a marriage made in hell, as was well documented by some of us at the time. The divorce happened exactly as predicted and bang on cue. However, that's history and it's time to move along. FR scaled down it's SNN operation in my view because irrespective of pax numbers the yield was not there. MOL issued many warnings in his quarterly reports that SNN was not achieving targets. The Government tax is a handy excuse to justify the cull. MOL does not desert profitable routes.
Feel sorry for the management at SNN who were forced to accept the deal by the then Chairman. However, they now have to move forward and attempt to replace the routes. FR will not return to the vacated routes as under the incenctive scheme they will have to pay full charges, however few airlines will take up the slack, knowing FR are still lurking. The difficulty for SNN however will be how to apply an incentive scheme to a replacement carrier. There is however as always in Ireland as I have referred to before a more deep rooted problem, and that is the lack of a clearly defined aviation policy. Minister for Transport today alluded to the future of the regionals post PSO and that his focus is on rail transport. Knock and Kerry need not gloat either, because their rows with FR are predictable, when the latest 'deal' is up for renewal. FR have been bad for Ireland, in that they have contributed nothing to the country, government have never recognised that the majority of the pax are Irish originating and therefore take money from the economy. I say good riddance from SNN, and wish the management well in attracting new business. It won't be easy.