PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Durban bound Emirates A330 in severe turbulence encounter
Old 21st Dec 2009, 18:07
helen-damnation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aguadalte

Whom of us, may heartedly state here, that he has never accepted an Oceanic Clearance, flying Max CRZ levels at the initial part of the flight, fearing to loose Econ Crz for the rest of the crossing?
Not me, except if there is significant turbulence forcast.

Where is the "freedom" to chose between lower (but safer) levels, when there are turbulence forecasts ahead
The fuel penalty to fly the whole sector at one level lower i.e. 2000', is less than the contingency fuel uploaded. Circa 600kg versus 1500kg on this sector length for this a/c type. Therefore, the option to take lower levels for part of the trip is not a problem. If it is a problem, see the next point!

Starting by the fact that in our-days, fuel philosophy aims to upload minimum fuel and the fact that, despite EU OPS 1.255 e) - stating that commanders do have the last word regarding final fuel figures for their flight - there are rumors of crews being under pressure to fly minimum required...
Furthermore, the airline concerned has never questioned me when I have taken extra fuel. I take it if I or one of the other flightcrew believe there is a reasonable and justifiable cause.

We're talking about strategic decisions, which later on turned to be tactically reviewed.
That's what you're paid to do every time you go to work..... isn't it?