PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 line training programs worldwide
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2009, 11:30
170to5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dangerous question. Without shouting or calling you names:

You want a career in aviation as a co-pilot, and ultimately as a commander, presumably. How will you feel when you have your first paid flying job, which you got through hard work and a first lucky break (which is the way it's happened since the beginning of civil aviation, and is the way I got my job), and you must suffer a constant attack on your terms, conditions, and pay - which is happening at the moment, because your company has realised that getting people to pay for not only their type rating, but also for line training is as easy as shooting fish in a barrel and telling them that 'there may be a job lined up when you finish' - I can tell you, and you need to think about this, if they ACTUALLY needed pilots, do you think they'd do one of these programs or would they recruit some F/O's? There's no job, and if you think that 150 hours of line flying on a 'bus is worth anything, you're very, very much mistaken. I have a mere 700 hours on type now, and were I to be let go tomorrow, I might not get a job again for 18 months. There are that many guys on the market.

This is the way the industry works now. It is very tempting to get one of these programs and see it as a way into your first job. Sadly, it is how the company you do training with is hoping to fill the right hand seat of its aeroplanes for the forseeable future, guaranteeing that they won't need you when you finish your program, because they'll get someone else to do your job. And again, they'll be paying for the privilege.

By going on one of these programs, you are encouraging the managers in this industry to reduce the value of the pilots whose number you want to join.