PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 21st Dec 2009, 10:34
interpreter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another strike in prospect?

Most who contribute to this forum seem to have voted against the strike but with another threatened you are going to have to face a possibly embittered “for” voter who will not be open to discussion. It is therefore imperative that you can persuade them of the counter argument. Or to put it more correctly persuade them to see that there is a counter argument and that it might be better for them. However, with my business experience hat on may I make some suggestions.

When you come across someone who was clearly angry at the judgement don’t retaliate by arguing but just ask them what they felt would have happened if the strike had gone ahead. Let them talk. Then ask them how did they feel that would have affected them personally. Let them talk. Then ask them against the background of the company’s parlous state what do they feel that would have done for the company. Let them talk.

When they have had their say ask them how they feel the company would have reacted to a strike. Let them talk. Ask them how the resulting company action might have affected them. Let them talk

Finally, simply say to them that you feel that with the present financial situation of the company you would not wish to jeopardise your own future nor that of your colleagues by disrupting the company’s earnings. In very, very many instances people in these situations talk themselves into a more rational response and that would be not to strike. That is why I emphasise time and time again that you must let the other person think through and talk through ALL the consequences of their action.

Remember those who voted for the strike simply had another view – possibly driven by the union who do not have the same agenda as most employees. The fact that they sided with the union merely means that they did not comprehend, did not wish to listen –we are all guilty of that sometimes – or had had a difficult situation with the company at some time and they are “getting their own back”. They are just coming from another angle.

You have a great deal of work to do. Good luck.