PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Funny Stuff You've heard in skies
Old 21st Dec 2009, 10:10
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
At an aerobatic competition in 2008 a bunch of people were flying the same Super D and every radio call used the full name Super Decathlon. To avoid confusion, as they look the same from a distance, I decided I should also use the full name for mine - Standard Decathlon.

There are a number of Decathlons (actually Standard Decathlons) based at Moorabbin and the tower often refers to each as a Bellanca, which happens to be correct for those. Friend with a Citabria used to hate being called a Bellanca as his was made by Champion. More fun when a visitor arrived in a newer Super D which was made by American Champion. "Follow the Bellanca ... " - "Champion sighted but not the Bellanca" - just in my imagination - the tower guys and gals do a grand job but we just have a chuckle to ourselves.

One of my students at one time worked as ATC elsewhere so I thought I would learn a few things. Inbound to Moorabbin one day, some time after calling at the inbound reporting point and having instructions to join the circuit the tower asked our position - my student was speechless, couldn't think how to respond then he blurted out "Why are they asking us that?"

Late one Sunday arvo on a beaut day. XXXXX called at an inbound reporting point. A big event as he was solo having regained his medical after a long struggle. Very few others in the air but it was amazing how many recognised his voice/aeroplane and made it known they realized the significance of that flight to him. "Hello XXXXX ..... Gday XXXXX .........XXXXX .... XXXXX etc."

More recently, a student primed for the new procedures at Moorabbin on taxi to 31 so needed clearance to cross a number of inactive runways ".... request clearance to cross all active runways." Response was laughter.