PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Qantas Management waging psychological warfare on its staff?
Old 20th Dec 2009, 14:43
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Packrat:

The results are being withheld to protect the stupid ,the incompetent and the guilty.
Wonder if AJ gets to see them ?
Spoken like a true rational human being Packrat.

By implication, you are apparently suggesting that were Mr. Joyce aware of the true situation and lack of engagement of his staff, then he would draw the conclusion that this was a less than optimum result with long term negative consequences for the business, and then take corrective action, probably by firing the managers responsible.

However, I have to rain on your parade and douse your fond hopes.

We already know what the Chairman of the Board thinks. His comments regarding the Engineering EBA are on record. Those comments imply that either he is woefully misinformed, or he is like the rest, believing that the sun shines out of the Board and Senior managements fundament.

I'm afraid I tend to the latter view and think it more likely that all Senior management from the very top down, including Mr. Joyce, have similar character traits and no empathy with staff whatsoever because I can tell you from my own experience that no one but another narcissist will work for any length of time for a narcissistic boss, it's just too hard. Constant upwards backside licking is necessary to avoid being replaced or fired and good people will not put up with that.

My expectation would be that staff disengagement would be seen as beneficial as the Board and Senior management, aided at great expense by BCG no doubt, continues on what it sees as its mission of "business transformation" (or whatever the current buzzword is) - destroying the "Old Legacy High Cost Qantas Culture" - and replacing it with something young, vibrant, cheap and sexy.

Disengaged people eventually leave - saving the company redundancy costs, and there is an endless procession of pilot wannabees and girls who think that being a Qantas flight attendant is a good career move.

The studied, barely concealed, contempt for the existing staff is not a deliberate policy, but it makes the managers feel good and leverages a little staff turnover, so it's not something they are concerned about, right?

I know the secret to building a great workforce, and unfortunately this isn't it.