PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - john frohnsdorff elected BALPA General Secretary
Old 26th Jun 2002, 11:10
airrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martin, Thanks for your reply and the tone it set. Having spent an hour typing my reply I tripped out my power cord without my battery in place, so I am repeating a shorter version(was that a sigh of relief I heard?)

- BALPA short of resources - I knew we ran a tight ship but if it is getting to the point of providing inadequate coverage then we need to review where we spend our time and whether dues should be raised or some areas covered less intensively. Perhaps the new GS review will be an opportune time as any. If put to the members to decide, do you want to lose the following services or increase contribution you might be surprised how many people suport the increase given the facts. an Independant review ? Please don't struggle in silence when this might not be needed.

- CC's do own the results of negotiations(777 bunk rest exception to the rule perhaps)but support from HQ should be firm and forthcoming with advice. They are the hired guns after all. A militant GS puppeteer perhaps.

- GS of BALPA should not have to take a part time job(1.5days/week)with the Comp. Comm. just to get a hearing with politicians.

- MG - I misunderstood your original post referred to him working on flagging out not FTL's. I will re-read it.

- JF picking his succesor;
I was talking about preferring that he choose candidates for gen.members ballot rather than NEC selection alone. I am not opposed to NEC refining the list with him.

- "MG reason for writing lettter stemmed from unanimous CD support at a recent ADC."
Why was the ADC vote so out of touch with the gen.members Election results ? Is it because the ADC could see personally the great job CD was doing, and we couldn't - communication ? How can such a diverging viewpoint exist and doesn't it cause concern that the ADC might not accurately be aware of the gen.members viewpoint on issues ? Either way a lot could be learned from the entire Election past, and to not review it in detail creates further risk in the future. It is worrying that possibly a large number of members threatened leaving in disgust, and utilising the new UK union recognition laws to bring in another or their own union. The reasons behind this must be reviewed to avoid a repeat.

- "About to enter battle without GS sends message of disunity or weakness."
My viewpoint is exactly that of The FT article yesterday that says the Election results have actually sent fear into BA and uncertainty. Confirms our renewed militancy. See article

- Some info sensitive and adds nothing to the debate for its cost.
Agreed, however things could be improved using the new BALPA forum - perhaps there should be some threads used for posting by BALPA reps only for info updates(BA trial at the moment) and also perhaps considering e-mail broadcast lists. Members opt-in to receive email upates(fleet, company, etc). I would be happy to assist in setting this up, as I did offer to set up a forum a year ago. The problem with closed door negotiations and sensitivity is that often the members are unaware of the intervening steps. They see negotiations beginning with PLAN A, they don't see the logical progression until the rep emerges with PLAN D. We would be happier to have seen A-B-C-D and to participate in those steps. time consuming YES. Example, pay deal; Rep presents company with manuscript of deal and says if anything needs changing consultation with members will need to take place, not open for lengthy closed door discussions. Perhaps more militant but it would then put the pressure on the company and not unduly on the rep. I still think temporary professional hired guns are the best solution for pay deals only, not worth budgeting expense here as an extra 10% in pay that wouldn't normally occur, means members could happily afford an extra 10 years of 1% BALPA dues with the first year of extra dosh. Perhaps a one-off charge to that companies members (decided by ballot)who want the Pros hired for that years pay deal.

- I do read the log.

- As for ideas.
In the run up to negotiations no doubt GMM's will be forthcoming. Poor turnouts should not be construed as poor support but more a symptom of a tired workforce unwilling to drive to the airport once again, people downroute or using their few days off for personal issues. They might not be the best way to gauge opinion and probably give BA a false sense of security and first advantage in the negotiations. If people could log on to the Internet when they find the spare time and view a videotaped presentation(digital handhelds can suffice), followed by a secure and accurate voting system(one vote only and verified BALPA member from relevant comapny) then you might gauge support before having to officially ballot. The company would no doubt see the results as well. I know one could say the members are just being lazy, but there are many reasons why someone can't go to a GMM, the end result is what we are after and so we should accomplish this in the most accomodating fashion available. It doesn't have to be an expensive videoconference, just a Realplayer/Windows player download, ajoining forum and a POLL. Just for thought.

I would be happy to continue this via email or postings. If ppruner's here are sick of these lengthy posts or want it to continue, Please tell us either way.

Last edited by airrage; 26th Jun 2002 at 11:30.