PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation does it lead to complacency?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2009, 22:46
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck you forgot Omega.

Yes I flew using radio ranges, but to be fair they were not primary by then.
I also used the old B&W (or B&Y) radar for approaches, being able to adjust sensitivity and gain allowed us to identify coast lines, runways, control towers and the like for very accurate guidance. Can't do that with the modern colour radar.

Loved the old ADF with aural nul ability too. Was a very accurate bearing over almost 1000 miles if done right and the high power NDBs were available.

I doubt any pilot nowadays could do a proper plot, neither are good plotting maps carried on most airline aircraft.

I just saw the Amelia movie and it brought back memories. I doubt the sight of Fred Noonan holding his head in despair was accurate. I would bet he was drawing lines on his charts right to the end.

-----

G-SPOTS I don't understand your reference to the TC. It tells you what it can and if you know what it is saying it is not going to kill you at all. Very reliable piece of kit to have, and easier to use than a turn needle. Not prone to fail, so long as you have vacuum or electrics to run it. I notice the new G1000 does not have a turn indication, apart from the red radial, which has to be interpreted to be of value. Or have I missed it?