PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Militants in Iraq intercept live video feeds from U.S. Predator drones
Old 19th Dec 2009, 16:22
t43562

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Quote:
What interests me is how easy it would be to build a "Drone detector" for high-level people who needed a bit of time to hide or escape?
You only turn the ROVER feed on when you need it - if you want to sneak up on you don't turn it on!

Even if they did detect the link and not look at it, there's no guarantee that it is them being watched. Anyway, it would be easier to get someone to watch the airbase and e-mail/text when one is airborne.

Sorry, fella, that's a rubbish idea!
I know absolutely nothing about this but I can suppose:

I suppose that since the signal is short range there is no chance that it isn't looking for you in a country the size of Afghanistan or Pakistan.

I suppose that the airbase watchers have some use but since the kind of UAVs that take off from airbases have a long endurance(?) they could be going to lots of different places no matter what their heading is after takeoff.

The transmission may be on for only a short time but I don't know how short is short. Imagine it's a single minute - that might be enough time to jump into some sort of shelter which might just be good enough to survive or hide. The presence of a drone is an indicator that you are about to be attacked by nearby ground forces if you don't know that already.

But like I said I really know nothing and I expect that there are half-a-dozen reasons why it's not likely to be an issue.